Monday, November 30, 2009

Portraits

HEAD TO WAIST - I wanted to use one of the crochet blankets my Grandmother made as the background. I have a bit of a weird liking (maybe an obsession...) towards crochet blankets, so thats mainly why it was my first thought for a background. I love the different colours of wool used and the way it appears so intricately held together. To fit in with the background I went with a hippie theme, dressing Nikki in a cheesecloth shirt, bright headscarf and beads. What I didn't think about before shooting, was the length of the blanket. So I ended up having some trouble with its length, and in the end the portraits ended up being quite square.


After experimenting with incense sticks and hearts drawn on her palm, I decided I liked the images with the daisies the best, choosing the last photo above as my head to waist portrait.


MULTIPLE EXPOSURE - I asked my friend Francine who plays soccer, to come into the studio. I wanted to get 3 exposures of her juggling the ball with her feet at first. Then I decided to have some variety, an have one of her juggling the ball on her knees, one juggling the ball on her head and the third of her simply holding the ball. After she'd kitted up in her gear we started. It all went fairly easily, with the main problem being Fran trying to juggle in complete darkness and not loose the ball halfway down the studio. The final image I chose has ghosting around the bottom, which I didn't crop or try to remove, because I like the effect and I wanted the boots and socks to be shown.

No comments:

Post a Comment